There are plenty of locksmiths to choose throughout Edinburgh. Just search on Google for “Locksmith Edinburgh” and you will see a host of sites pop up (even mine!). But how do you know who to choose? There are plenty of good and bad locksmiths around (and ugly ones too!). Here’s how to differentiate between the good and the bad locksmiths.
How to Spot a Good Locksmith
The good locksmiths will be easy to spot as they will:
- Provide an honest quote
- Have no call out fee
- Be able to respond rapidly (within 30 minutes)
- Have seen your problem before and can respond accordingly
- Attempt non-destructive entry first
- Be courteous and reliable
- Won’t overcharge
- Have lots of good reviews
- Have the parts in their van usually
You would expect these attributes of every locksmith but unfortunately that is not always the case. There are national call centres which look like they are local locksmiths in every way (even their local number) but are not. These types of organisations subcontract to locksmiths and may charge a call out fee, overcharge on parts and take ages to arrive.
How to Spot a Bad Locksmith
There aren’t many but there are some. What you should look out for are:
- Call out charges
- Clear lack of knowledge on how to fix the problem
- Not having common parts available in their van so having to return causing more inconvenience
- Charging outrageous prices for a job that only takes a few minutes
- Having no flexibility in their charging
- Being rude and arriving late
- Poor or no reviews
If you have never needed a locksmith before and have to choose one from the many on Google, it is a good idea to check out the reviews they have. How many do they have, what rating is given, when was the last one written? These will give you an indication of the service you’ll expect.
As for the Ugly Locksmiths?
Well it is personal opinion of course! But if you spot an old rusty van with no branding on the side, you can be sure that the locksmith inside does not have personal appearance as a priority!
For a quick response 24 hours a day contact Richard, a local and honest locksmith.